As mobile phone users worldwide grows, it is becoming increasingly crucial for business owners to focus their efforts on the mobile platform. Scroll down to read more about the growing mobile usage trend around the world and the potential for business growth involving web and mobile applications from this one.
Quick look: Mobile stats in the world
- The average number of user activities, including tapping, swiping, and clicking their cell phone, is 2,617 times a day.
- 62% of smartphone users have made online buying on their devices.
- In-app advertising rose to $201 billion in 2021.
- 47% of US users say they could not live without their phones.
- 95% of adults in South Korea own at least a smartphone.
- The average time spent on cell phones is 2hrs 51mins a day, or 171 mins per day.
- More people worldwide now own a smartphone than a toothbrush.
- The top 10 vendors contribute almost 77% of the global smartphone market share.
- There were around 2.87 billion cell phone users worldwide in 2020.
- 57% of smartphone users worldwide will not recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site.
Mobile phone users worldwide facts
- In 2022, the global smartphone users will total 6.648 billion people, representing 83.72% of the global population.
The current number of mobile phone users worldwide is 6.648 billion, implying that 83.72% of the world’s population owns a smartphone. Of course, the trend is for that number to rise year after year.
- With over 950 million smartphone users, China had the most of any country in the world.
It is easy to understand that China leads the smartphone statistics chart. India and Indonesia are the next two countries.
Here are the top 5 smartphone countries in 2022:
1. China (1.6 billion)
2. India (1.28 billion)
3. Indonesia (386 million)
4. United States (327 million)
5. Brazil (284 million)
- In 2022, there were nearly 16 billion mobile devices in use worldwide.
According to Statista, the number of mobile devices in use worldwide in 2022 will be nearly 16 billion, up from just over 15 billion the previous year. The number of mobile devices are expected to reach 18.22 billion by 2025, a 4.2 billion increase over 2020 levels.
- 85% of people in the United States own a smartphone.
The statistics show that in the US, 85% of males and 85% of females own a cellphone, and 98% of women and 97% of men own a cell phone today.
- Smartphone penetration is highest among those aged 18 to 24, accounting for 93%.
When looking at mobile phone users worldwide by age, Millennials aged 18-24 have the highest penetration, with 93 percent owning a smartphone.
- The mobile industry directly supports 17 million jobs.
This directly supported 17 million jobs, bringing the mobile industry’s total impact (direct and indirect) to nearly 32 million jobs.
- Samsung is the most popular brand in the smartphone market.
Samsung reclaimed first place in smartphone shipments from Apple in 2021, with a 20% global market share after shipping 272 million phones.
- Mobile devices account for over 50% of all web traffic.
Mobile accounts for around half of all web traffic globally. Mobile devices generated more than 54% of global website traffic in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Global mobile data traffic from 2016 to 2021 increased by seven times
Statistics about mobile phone users worldwide are skyrocketing and are expected to reach the moon in a few years. It’s so simple to use your phone to access the internet, whether you’re reading the news, listening to music, or engaging in some influencer marketing.
- Android is the most widely used operating system across all devices.
With a nearly 73% market share, Android remained the most popular mobile operating system worldwide. Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS account for more than 99% of the global market.
- Travel activities are booked on mobile devices by 85% of travelers.
According to the survey, mobile is the most popular platform for travel research and booking. More than 65% of respondents prefer to conduct travel research on their smartphones rather than their desktop computers. Furthermore, 85% of respondents said they book travel activities using mobile devices.
- Google accounted for 96% of all mobile organic search visits in the United States.
This is an incredible number, isn’t it? Indeed, Google dominates the market share of 92 percent overall and 96 percent of all mobile organic search visits in the United States.
Potential development for Mobile applications
The increase in smartphone ownership pulls along the development fields, including web and app applications.
Mobile apps are currently ruling the business world, so each passing day’s revenue is skyrocketing. On average, users spend 2.3 hours per day navigating the various mobile apps.
The current era of mobile apps is experiencing a digitization phase, as a result of which communication has become more rapid and straightforward. The increased number of social media apps is one of the primary reasons for improved interaction and connection.
Because of the flood of mobile phone users worldwide, new mobile applications are being developed & released into the market at a much faster rate. As the number of devices and features increases, so will the demand for mobile app development, and it is expected to grow more than fivefold by the end of this year.